Menu

English conversation topic

Diskuse mimo téma hry Gothic.
Pravidla fóra
Hodící se témata zakládejte do příšlušných subfór. Ať je tam nemusíme sami přesunovat.
Příspěvekod BBVenom » pát 23. říj 2015 5:10:50 » Re: English conversation topic
Maybe we both use different english? It is no mystery there are a lot of types of it.
Anyway, for the word it would be Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
BBVenom
Uživatel

Příspěvekod Kristi » pát 23. říj 2015 15:21:40 » Re: English conversation topic
There, indeed, are different types of English, but in none of them "truth to be told" is used instead of "truth be told" or "to tell the truth". You made a mistake, no biggie. We all make mistakes. However, what's not cool is not learning from them and insisting you are correct even though you have been told by several people that you were wrong.

I did a hefty google search for your convenience. Literally the first result is a thread with replies by native speakers from both North America and the UK (so much for different types of English...) insisting that they never heard any "truth to be told" and "truth be told" is the correct one. (click)

Now, in case you do decide to get smart on me anyway, yes, there is a context where "truth to be told" can be used, e.g. in a sentence such as "Well, you know, there is some truth to be told here." but we both know that is definitely not the context and phrase you were aiming for.
if i hadn't buried my feelings so deep that they only come up when i watch stepmom, i would totally be tearing up right now
Kristi
Uživatel

Příspěvekod BBVenom » pát 23. říj 2015 16:13:59 » Re: English conversation topic
Wow, what an offence! x)
But to make a point, this conversation leads to different paths, none ending differently than with a dead-end...
I can take advice but in this case you just can't change my mind; stop trying.
Take me as a blinded individual, honestly I do not care, but I know that even my phrase is commonly used
And to English as such: there are at least eleven types of the language, each with different speech, spelling, words... The fact that the United Kingdom and American one are most common does not mean they are the only type in existance.
THAT is why I insist on my use of the phrase and deem it correct still...
BBVenom
Uživatel

Příspěvekod Zero » pát 23. říj 2015 16:26:03 » Re: English conversation topic
BBVenom píše:I can take advice but in this case you just can't change my mind; stop trying.

Why not? By saying that you're being willfully ignorant and well, that doesn't sound like a good thing, does it?

BBVenom píše:I know that even my phrase is commonly used

If you know it, you surely have some source to prove you right. I'd like to see it.

I don't want to sound like dick but it seems to me that you just can't admit you're wrong, which seems really weird to me since you were the one to suggest correcting other people.
Zero
Uživatel

Příspěvekod Shaidarol » pát 23. říj 2015 16:39:11 » Re: English conversation topic
Blimey. I'm using your own words here to make sure you understand - please enlighten us on these 11 types and, more importantly, tell us where exactly do they say "truth to be told". I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say that we'd all be ever so grateful.
Shaidarol
Zasloužilý člen fóra

Příspěvekod Shaidarol » pát 23. říj 2015 16:41:41 » Re: English conversation topic
Also, are you trying to suggest - by this whole spectacle - we should be correcting other people's mistakes, yet nobody should learn anything from these corrections, as you're so kindly demonstrating?
Shaidarol
Zasloužilý člen fóra

Příspěvekod Kristi » pát 23. říj 2015 16:49:30 » Re: English conversation topic
BBVenom píše:Wow, what an offence! x)
I can take advice but in this case you just can't change my mind sweetie : ) stop trying sweaty : )
i don't care about what you said but I know that even my phrase is commonly used in all kinds of english sweaty : ) mostly my english : )
And to English as such: there are at least eleven types of the language, each with different speech, spelling, words... The fact that the United Kingdom and American one are most common does not mean they are the only type in existance. i know because i googled the number sweetie : ) and heared about it : )
THAT is why I insist on my use of the phrase and deem it correct still... and you're wrong sweetie : )

nah, I'm not going on the offense, that would look differently. However, you don't have to tell me about different types of English, but since you started this thing about correcting people, indeed do tell me - which English should we use as a reference point then? British? American? Australian? Canadian? Indian? AAVE?

What Mr. Zero said.
if i hadn't buried my feelings so deep that they only come up when i watch stepmom, i would totally be tearing up right now
Kristi
Uživatel

Příspěvekod BBVenom » pát 23. říj 2015 18:37:37 » Re: English conversation topic
Hmm...
I had these words buried in my mind since
But now your determination made me doubt the knowledge I was given some years ago.
Well, it seems you've won then.
But the memories this conversation brought back to me... It seems not even those claiming to know the best do not know the the best at all. (look at my shinning example)
In any case, thank you all for opening my eyes, now one thing needs to be done.
BBVenom
Uživatel

Příspěvekod Zero » pát 23. říj 2015 18:44:31 » Re: English conversation topic
BBVenom píše:Well, it seems you've won then.

It wasn't a competition. :)

BBVenom píše:In any case, thank you all for opening my eyes.

No problem, I'm glad you're able to see the truth, even though it took some convincing.
Zero
Uživatel

Příspěvekod Shaidarol » pát 23. říj 2015 20:34:48 » Re: English conversation topic
What's the thing that's helped you to improve the most? I'd say it's probably films and books for me.
Shaidarol
Zasloužilý člen fóra

Příspěvekod Emperor » pát 23. říj 2015 20:48:04 » Re: English conversation topic
english games fora
Emperor
Templář

Příspěvekod Zero » sob 24. říj 2015 12:46:46 » Re: English conversation topic
Books, games, movies and internet discussions mostly. I didn't learn much at school, my english teachers were mostly quite terrible. There is one notable exception but sadly that particular teacher only taught me for two years.
Zero
Uživatel

Příspěvekod Shaidarol » úte 03. lis 2015 10:29:46 » Re: English conversation topic
BBVenom píše:In any case, thank you all for opening my eyes, now one thing needs to be done.

Day 11: We still don't know what had to be done.
Shaidarol
Zasloužilý člen fóra

Příspěvekod Kristi » úte 03. lis 2015 15:43:17 » Re: English conversation topic
we probably won't ever know tho
Kristi
Uživatel

Příspěvekod BBVenom » sob 07. lis 2015 13:27:26 » Re: English conversation topic
It is like asking a man that threatens you "What is your name!?"
How would this information help you?
BBVenom
Uživatel

PředchozíDalší