Menu

English conversation topic

Diskuse mimo téma hry Gothic.
Pravidla fóra
Hodící se témata zakládejte do příšlušných subfór. Ať je tam nemusíme sami přesunovat.
Příspěvekod BBVenom » stř 21. říj 2015 18:37:25 » Re: English conversation topic
"The first step to perfection of knowledge is getting to know what you know and acknowledging the rest."
BBVenom
Uživatel

Příspěvekod Rinceoir » stř 21. říj 2015 19:08:56 » Re: English conversation topic
Ok guys, I came here to join you :) It seems like a good topic :)
amatérský pisálek s profesionální leností
Rinceoir
Uživatel

Příspěvekod BBVenom » stř 21. říj 2015 20:20:04 » Re: English conversation topic
May your pressence here be the harbinger of enlightenment, then :)
BBVenom
Uživatel

Příspěvekod Shaidarol » čtv 22. říj 2015 10:52:23 » Re: English conversation topic
BBVenom píše:Howdy, anybody heared about 'Speak and Spell'?
I don't want to be rude, but as far as I am concerned, some people could really use a helping hand...
Besides, if (as some stated) this topic aims to boost the ENG language skill of those not skilled perfectly, why not tell them what they are doing wrong so maybe they can avoid making the same mistake over and over again? To make fun of someone is fairly easy, but to guide someone to become better is just what should be done :) (I am not saying someone is making fun of someone, this was just an example of behavior)
Truth to be told, had I not written several stuff in this language, my skill would be way below than where it is now, so maybe try writting a poem or something, search the word you wanna know and by the time you'll know some nice words (if nothing more, this can prove to be useful as well)

Hey, I highlighted the most obvious mistakes for your convenience. The red ones are plain incorrect, and while the yellow ones are more of a syntax issue, they simply look weird - except for the last one which seems to lack a word or two - although I get your meaning.

You see, this has never been a thread meant to actively correct people's errors - while I'm sure you had the best intentions in mind, there are language courses for that. What I intended back when I started this was for people to communicate and, if they wanted to, learn by reading what others had written.

Reading my response, I probably sound a little passive aggresive. Please do note it's not intentional, as I always love to help people get better at English. However, I do think advice should be given when asked for rather than when the advisor deems it appropriate.
Shaidarol
Zasloužilý člen fóra

Příspěvekod Kristi » čtv 22. říj 2015 11:10:05 » Re: English conversation topic
I don't think anyone's aiming to be enlightened here, we're just chillin'. If the improvement of someone's English ends up being a by-product of that, which is quite probable over a longer period of time, then so be it, but... Just relax :)
if i hadn't buried my feelings so deep that they only come up when i watch stepmom, i would totally be tearing up right now
Kristi
Uživatel

Příspěvekod BBVenom » čtv 22. říj 2015 11:51:34 » Re: English conversation topic
Hehe, I agree with some of your corrections, but not all of them, most of the "yellow" corrections are phrases commonly used once the situation deems them useable :)
"Truth to be told" Can you explain me the mistake here, please?
Also, what's wrong with "several stuff"? Well, except the fact it sounds like a refference to a pile of poop in this case, of course x)
Last note: I was not stating that we should be helpful (wow, so inspiring sentence this is :)), I was talking about people who said some sort of disagreement with grammatical correction of words (now me included) without anything else included (about corrections - like you did with my post)
But anyway, your effort won't go in vain, although I have never learned correct spelling of "heard" throughout all the years I've been alive :)
BBVenom
Uživatel

Příspěvekod Emperor » čtv 22. říj 2015 13:04:33 » Re: English conversation topic
"Truth to be told" Can you explain me the mistake here, please? ...

I´ll try :
To tell the truth ...
Some stuff ...
Try to write ...

Am I correct?
Emperor
Templář

Příspěvekod BBVenom » čtv 22. říj 2015 14:02:45 » Re: English conversation topic
I do not think this is where Shaidarol was aiming, and if yes, then there is no mistake :)
Basically what you wrote could be translated like "Pravdu povediac" and what I wrote can be translated like "Aby bola pravda povedaná", which does sound strange in our native languages, but in English is common and not considered a mistake :)
I'm not sure what you meant with the other quotes, apologies x)
BBVenom
Uživatel

Příspěvekod Emperor » čtv 22. říj 2015 14:24:43 » Re: English conversation topic
The weather turned out fine ... beautifull autumn, finally ...
Emperor
Templář

Příspěvekod Zero » čtv 22. říj 2015 18:19:41 » Re: English conversation topic
Kristi píše:I don't think anyone's aiming to be enlightened here

Oh, I thought I'd reach nirvana in this topic.

Emperor píše:
"Truth to be told" Can you explain me the mistake here, please? ...

I´ll try :
To tell the truth ...

Am I correct?

Nope. The correct phrase is "Truth be told".
Edit: I mean, you are correct but it's different phrase.
Zero
Uživatel

Příspěvekod BBVenom » čtv 22. říj 2015 18:49:55 » Re: English conversation topic
Isn't language a thing of wonders? Three different possibilities yet all of them are correct...
BBVenom
Uživatel

Příspěvekod Kristi » čtv 22. říj 2015 20:04:53 » Re: English conversation topic
Zero píše:
Kristi píše:I don't think anyone's aiming to be enlightened here

Oh, I thought I'd reach nirvana in this topic.

We can make an exception for you.
if i hadn't buried my feelings so deep that they only come up when i watch stepmom, i would totally be tearing up right now
Kristi
Uživatel

Příspěvekod Shaidarol » čtv 22. říj 2015 20:14:12 » Re: English conversation topic
BBVenom píše:Isn't language a thing of wonders? Three different possibilities yet all of them are correct...

It is indeed. However, only two in this case. There's either "truth be told" or "to tell the truth" - there is no such thing as "truth to be told".
Shaidarol
Zasloužilý člen fóra

Příspěvekod Zero » čtv 22. říj 2015 20:20:43 » Re: English conversation topic
What's your favourite english word and why?
Zero
Uživatel

Příspěvekod Shaidarol » čtv 22. říj 2015 20:26:08 » Re: English conversation topic
There's more. Preposterous, loquacious, bugger. Just like the sound of them to be honest.
Shaidarol
Zasloužilý člen fóra

PředchozíDalší